Thursday, December 10, 2009

Critical Thinking on Sexual Behavior

My very first blog!
Yesterday on my face book page I made the following post: There are studies that link genetics and sexual behavior. It seems that the children of those who are exclusively homosexual tend to be likewise. The same is true of the children of celibate parents.
A my friends picked up on my shenangians asking "How can celibates be parents?" Others questioned the validity of the studies, which were entirely of my own imagination. As I commented later "The sample size was a huge issue in these studies." noting that the studies were not comprimised such things as artificial insemination etc. I also said there was only one child born to celibate parents and he remained that way so the finding was 100%.
Of course if one is exclusively homosexual they cannot reproduce. Nor can a celibate hope to have a child (unless she is carrying the Messiah). So my point was why are we so quick to believe in a genetic link to homosexual behavior? Or for that matter anything else?
As technology has boomed the scientific community has subtly taken on an iconic status. Until recently we have not thought to question it's motives or integrity. We hear some breakthrough on the news and we tend to take it at face value, not taking the time to tumble it through our heads to see if it makes any sense. It is time to start doing some of our own thinking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment